Monday 25 June 2012

Crazy for Candy Colours!

I had the overwhelming urge to get creative last week! It's been a couple weeks since ive had time to do anything! Been so busy setting up the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/Countryinthecity and trying to get my head round the twitter world (@CountryITC)... so I eventually just had to do something fun!

I found a few small pieces hiding in cupboards which I spent the evenings this week painting!

You might have read my blog on the spice rack in my kitchen. Before I had that  new rack, I was using another small wood shelving unit for a spice rack. I had planned on just throwing out the old one...so unlike me?!...but then my compultion to save everything kicked in and I decided I would give it a make over!
Spice Rack (Before)

I had, for weeks now, been chomping at the bit to try out my new paints! One of them was Dulux Willow Tree Silk Paint. Its like a gorgeous fresh minty green! I was thinking about what I could try it out on!? ....This little shelving unit popped into my mind again. I cleaned it up and gave it a quick rub over with fine sandpaper. I always lay brown paper roll under my painting projects if im painting indoors to protect the floor from drips, its cheap and since there is never enough newspaper lying around its always good to have...also I am a messy painter!!

Whilst rummaging in the storage cupboard for the spice rack I found this old mug wall rack that I had rescued from my grandparents house a few weeks ago...it was pretty worn and the varnish was peeling off of it, but if its made of wood then I will always keep it for a rainy day painting project! Also, as it was peeling it just made it easier to give it a quick rub over with some sandpaper.
Mug Wall Rack (Before)
I had loads of little sample pots of paint in various colours and chose Marble IV by The Paint and Paper library which is a chalky emultion paint..it looked grey on the tin but was more like a dusty lilac. I gave the mug hanger a coat of this paint too and left them both to dry.
Watching paint dry can be fun!

I then caught the painting bug and so dug out this little wall shelf & a little stool ready to make them over too!
Wall Shelves (Before)

Stool (Before)

I had a new pink emulsion which I used to paint the shelves. Its Dulux Matt Emulsion Paint in Sorbet! Which looked good enough to eat!! I then decided to do the stool with the same clour as the spice rack.

Here's the results!
Spice Rack (After)
Mug Wall Rack (After)
Re-purposed into a jewellery hanger!
What do you think?

Wall Shelf (After)

Stool (After)
I hadnt planned on painting all these things in candy colours it just was where my mood took me this week....


3 comments:

  1. I was going to paint my room mint green when I get back from Thailand and the furniture white. But i might Paint some stuff pastel pink and lilac now! And one wall mint and the rest white hmmm?. What do you think? Nadine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im all about white walls and painted wood furniture so I personally would paint the walls white...that way if you ever change your mind about the style you still have a blank canvas to work on! If you really want to paint the walls though, just pick one wall and paint that wall the mint green and then paint the shelving and furniture which will sit in front of the minty wall in either white or pastels colours. It will look super cute! Go for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I can envision it! I'm excited

    ReplyDelete