Thursday 19 July 2012

10 green(brown) bottles sitting on a wall....

I recently came across this image. 
The colours.
The embossed jars.
The flowers.
Whats not to like?!
Image - Original Source Unknown.
A couple of days ago my husband had just finished a bottle of American Root Beer. The bottle was on the coffee table next to me. I noticed it had a cool embossed logo on it. I thought it was worth thinking about if there was anything I could do with it.

Before: Root Beer Bottle

I had just inhaled quite a bit of Annie Sloan wax (Its pretty stong smelling stuff) as I was in the midst of finishing off some other furniture peices and so my brain wasnt working properly to think of my own ideas. So, I posted this picture of the bottle on my facebook page and asked my lovely 'likers' to suggest what I could do with this cool old looking brown glass bottle.

I already had thought about using it as a vase, but there is always something more creative out there isnt there? A couple of people referenced the image of the painted jars and suggested I could paint the bottle and sand off the paint from the embossed text! I hadnt even thought of this idea despite having seen and shared the jar image only days earlier!

So I got out a pot of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - Paris Grey...I had heard you can paint glass with it so lets give it a go!

When the paint had dryed I got some sandpaper and rubbed it over the embossed text parts until the brown glass underneath was revealed.

After: Root Beer Bottle
One coat is probably enough to get that rustic look..I really love the effect!
I was impatient and didnt wait for it to dry properly. Oops. I think if I had of waited they would come out even better but I get excited and have to everything straight away!

After: Root Beer Bottle

The plan is to get lots of these bottles and paint them all different colours!

I will have to stock up on bottles of Root Beer! 





2 comments: