Tuesday 1 May 2012

'Ah well.....There's a story behind that'

I thought I would start a blog....Ive become quite addicted to reading some of the fantastic blogs I've stumbled across, mostly about interior design, furniture restoration and up-cycling, in particular anything with the words 'Shabby' Or 'Country' associated with it.
Basically, I LOVE furniture and 'things'. Anything really, but mostly anything I can turn into a little project. I like to spend some time sanding, waxing, painting and customising my furniture items so that they aren't just a piece of furniture, they are a labour of love. Each piece in my home has a tale, a story of how it came to belong to me, and why it looks the way it looks.

There's an 'in' joke in my family, which stems from my Grandmother and Grandfather. Everything they owned had a story. Everything. Some of the stories are historic, interesting and even quite funny...some of them less so....but none the less, EVERYTHING had its own story. My Aunt had the brilliant idea of documenting most of the items stories and so those little tales live on despite my grandparents having both passed away.
 
My grandparents.

If you picked up a Charlie Chaplin figurine in my grandparents house, and asked where it came from, the response would be, 'Ah well...Theres a story behind that'...and that's how I find myself living my life now. I love everything to have a story. To have some thought gone into it. If you comment on my new side table you'll be told the story of how it came to be in my home and if you switch on my standard lamp you will learn the tale of where it came from.
So here is my blog....where I will show you my past little projects and, hopefully, my new projects in the coming months, while my husband and I begin the search for our first proper family home. Everything has its own tale and here I will share them with whomever wants to know them.

No comments:

Post a Comment