Wednesday 30 May 2012

Rescued baby blue bathroom box...

For about a year, Ive been looking for something to put in my bathroom to tidy away cleaning products and toilet rolls etc....Ive come across and purchased a few things that were intended for this job but never quite made the grade and either got used for something else or sold on. I knew exactly what it was that I wanted....just a simple deep wooden box with a lid but as easy as you might think it is to find one of those....it proved to be elusive!!
Then, this weekend just gone, I was clearing out my grandparents house down in Devon....and I noticed something sitting in the bathroom. It was under the sink and I hadnt noticed it before. It was an deep wooden box with wheels on it. It was old and the paint was weathered from getting wet in the bathroom. The lid had a cork seat on top of it....which was so old it had dried out and was cracking off! The nails which held the cork seat in place were rusty.
It was going to be another little project  which I was excited about anyway, but then I realised it was exactly what I had been looking for to go in my bathroom!

It was perfect!
I pulled the cork seat off the top and removed the rusty nails. I wasnt going to replace the top with a seat, instead I wanted to paint it and probably will put some sented candles on top of it, or fold freshly laundered hand towels and pile them up.

You can see this box used to be yellow before it was blue! I imagine my grandfather must have painted it blue at some point? The chances are he even made the box...im sure there is a story about it which I may never know!
Blue  Storage Box (Before)

The paint was peeling and whilst I liked it as it was because it had a rustic charm, it needed some work to bring it back to life and I was going to have to paint the top anyway, so decided to give the whole box a lick of paint!

The inside was still yellow! I intend to paint it all the same colour.  

The box was almost the same exact shade of blue as the stool I had painted to sit in my kitchen! I still had some of that paint left so it was decided it would get a fresh coat of that baby blue paint which will fit in with my blue and white bathroom too! It was The Paint & Paper Library in Blue Charm.
I took the handles off the sides and gave it a couple coats of the blue paint. Once it had dried I put the handles back on.
Little Blue Box (After)

Little Blue Box (After)

Finally, all the cleaning products and toilet rolls can be hidden from sight!
I like having this box in my bathroom knowing my grandparents had it in theirs for all those years..... and I think they would like it too!

1 comment:

  1. Looks beautiful Lise - after too many years hidden in a dark corner it has a new lease of life. Fantastic!
    Nicky x

    ReplyDelete